Wednesday 13 October 2010

Birds, otters, cats and langurs

I have been back at the centre nearly a week and I have only worked on 'other wildlife'. This is a job I did not get to do the first time I was here and is both enjoyable and slightly scarey. The otters are very cute but start to scream when they get hungry and/or bored. You can hear it all over the centre. There are 3 new baby langurs which is amazing as they are very hard to keep alive in captivity. They cannot process fruit and die when feed things like banana's which is usually their downfall when bought as pets by ignorant people. The babies are gorgeous and the oldest one, Pun (see left), has gone in with the adults. The birds are a different matter entirerly. I have discovered Im not much of a fan. Randy, the great hornbil, has a habit of attacking people who enter his enclosure (just for fun you understand but many volunteers dont take it that way). I go in 4 times a day and have so far been lucky but have witnessed his assult on many other volunteers helping me to clean up. It you dont what a great hornbil is imagine a bird about knee high with a beak 6 times bigger than its head.

           He doesnt look as scarey from underneath. If only he would stay up there.


I am enjoying the comforts of my own room but it is in the opposite direction to the other volunteer rooms and when its dark it can be a bit creepy walking home to bed. The first night I could swear I was being followed. Just as I was trying to convice myself that I was just being paranoid a screach came from behind me and Maggie (the food house cat) jumped on my feet, both confirming my paranoia and making me feel very silly at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment